Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Judging Books by their Covers

As someone who frequently judges books by their covers (and I mean actual books, not people or whatever), I am pleased to see that there is now a book devoted to the subject. John Updike's review in the The New Yorker was critical of the book's Marxist approach. I am not a Marxist, but if we live in a country where there is time and money enough to write, publish, and widely review a Marxist interpretation of modern book cover design, then I say Bravo!

3 Comments:

Blogger tuppenhut said...

When I was in England I wanted to buy the UK copies of all the books I already own because they all had different covers and designs. The Penguin editions, instead of having mint green or orange spines and back covers are silver. How awesome is that!

10/26/2005 10:49 AM  
Blogger il Gatto Grande said...

christa,

I love Penguin, but those green and orange spines are an outrage. Vintage has always done a good job, and has even been getting better.

10/26/2005 12:13 PM  
Blogger tuppenhut said...

I agree. Half the Vintage books I own I bought just because I liked the way they looked (and felt! that matte finish!). But those newer Penguin Classics with all the black look pretty cool.

10/26/2005 2:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home