Wednesday, November 16, 2005

what was u readin?

slate ran an article today where various quasi-famous people, primarily writers, indicate the book they liked most in college. this question is kinda trite, and certainly invites pretentiousness. but i still think it's an interesting one.

so that's what i'm asking. what is the book you read in college, preferably but not necessarily in class, that you most distinctly remember reading, the one that best did it for you at age 19. my pick: aristotle's nicomachean ethics. anyone else care to weigh in? i'm looking at you, mild-mannered classicist.

8 Comments:

Blogger sauce said...

Slaughterhouse Five and Catch 22...and um, Harry Potter. I love that shit. Nay-sayers be damned.

11/16/2005 3:01 PM  
Blogger sauce said...

Dammit. Actually, there was one that I had to read for a class that had a huge effect on me. It's called All Over But the Shoutin'.

Sorry to throw all of this out. Just got excited.

11/16/2005 3:03 PM  
Blogger il Gatto Grande said...

You're coming out of the gate fast with Aristotle, my friend.

It's hard to remember back to then, but I very distinctly remember reading "The Language Instinct" my freshman year. I still think it is one of the neatest books.

11/16/2005 4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

things fall apart. go africa.

11/17/2005 3:23 AM  
Blogger caddy said...

for a class, i would have to go with tristam shandy - modernism 2 centuries early. outside of a class, middlemarch, no question. a top three novel of all time.

11/17/2005 10:52 PM  
Blogger kenniebloggins said...

Playboy 1992, Girls of the Big East.

11/21/2005 11:01 PM  
Blogger huitzilin said...

Dreaming in Cuban by Cristina GarcĂ­a. I teach it in my Latino lit. classes now.

One Hundred Years of Solitude
Hopscotch
Aura
Latina (an anthology of short stories by US Hispanic women writers)

11/22/2005 11:01 PM  
Blogger haley said...

I'm probably a bit biased, but the book that made me want to be an English Major was "In The Cage" by Henry James.

11/23/2005 9:57 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home