Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Oatmeal

It was a flurry of activity for il Gato Grande this past weekend. Friday found me at a frou-frou loft party that featured shirtless male models paid to attend as decoration. I was told that last year's party had topless female waitresses, so I'm feeling a little duped. Saturday was Twilight in Athens. Sunday afternoon, during an extreme lapse in judgment, I took in a screening of "United 93" with my old man.

"United 93" is not the movie-of-the-week that it's trailer would lead you to believe. By all accounts, its recreation of events is based on all known facts, and there is not a hint of embellishment. It is as apolitical as a movie about that subject could be, and I thought it was realistic almost to the point of anxiety attack-inducing. My dad, who wishes he were younger so that he could join the army and fight muslims, thought I was being a bit of a pansy.

Last night I watched an entire episode of "Wife Swap" which I won't explain here except to say that it ended with one of the husbands punching the other husband in the mouth. On ABC, in prime time. This left me feeling very bad about my fellow man. Much more so than "United 93." Then again, this is probably one of those things my dad thinks I need to quit being a pansy about, so maybe it's not that big of a deal.

For those in the ATL, Eef Barzelay from Clem Snide is playing tonight at the EARL. It should be an excellent show.

1 Comments:

Blogger Huevos McGringo said...

i guess i'm glad to hear your account of "United 93". if the deaths of those people are going to be blatantly exploited, i'm glad it's not in a sensationalistic way.

5/04/2006 1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home