Thursday, June 22, 2006

Shocking Asia II

a few more things about Shocking Asia 2006 and then some comments on Athens...
Witness the awesomeness of Malaysia..
1) Watching a monkey (surrounded by other monkeys) rip a bag of potato chips out of some guy's hands and proceed to open the bag and eat the contents at the largest Hindu temple in Malaysia, set in a cave, reached by climbing 272 steps behind a giant statue of some Hindu god. Will to me soon after: "Let's get the fuck away from these monkeys."
2) Going to KL's version of Boar's Head and picking out the cute Malaysian girls that were obviously prostitutes as they were hanging out with fat Americans twice their age.
3) Eating durian, the national fruit, which tastes like what I assume raw chicken tastes like. It was not very awesome. Out of season I guess.
4) Accidentally (no joke), wandering into a very seedy brothel with booths, beds and curtains. Will asked, nervously, if it was a hostel.
Back to Japan...
5) Watching the world cup with our new Japanese friends in a bar that was kind of like someone's living room that just happened to serve dinner and drinks.
6) Taking more photos of Japanese kids. Also being interviewed by lots of Japanese kids.
7) Riding the elevator in an onsen naked, with an 80 year old Japanese guy, also naked, and then stumbling on an actual yakuza guy with full back tattoo.
8) Talking to our kaiseki waitress about The Omen

Onto the sad stuff...
Obviously I'm very touched by Senor Huevos' note and the responses that followed. I realized in my days back from Japan that I am going to seriously miss all of you, and Athens as a whole. It made me really, really sad. I think the last five years have been the best five years of my life and I owe it to all of you, oldies and newies, for making it that way.
Not to overkill the list thing, but here goes, in no order, Athens (Hill St. Penal Era) 101:
1. Any trip to La Parilla
2. Senor Huevos being asked to put his shirt back on while playing foosball at the Engine Room at my birthday party
2.5. Deuce Deuce and DCB kicking mine and Sauce's asses at foosball at the Engine Room
3. Spelling Bee I and II
4. Rock and Jock I and II, specifically Sauce's bout with the bat-man task in R&J I. Also, any day at the old Penal League field.
5. Sauce thinking I was gay and hitting on him the first time we met
6. Any trip to the Watson Mill Catfish Lodge
7. Italian horror month at DJ Mahogany's
8. Costa Rica
9. Senor Huevos asking me, while walking on North Campus a few years ago, something along the lines of "Have you ever dated an Asian girl?" He He He.
10. Innumerable shows including Les Phair, Will Oldham, The Outfit, Masters, HGAF, SM, Ham 1, OTC, Sonic Youth, Divorce etc etc etc
11. Pineapple's neverending stories about Athens seedier side and OK dick breakers
12. Saturday brunch at RuSans with the Poet

So, obviously, Ben, Sauce, Mike, MB, Jeff, Zig, Reno, and anyone I missed, I already miss you guys. For the forseeable future I will be (a) eating at Milo's, (b) trying to find Sun Ra's grave, (c) hanging out at Sloss Furnaces, Horseshoe Bend and the Vulcan, and (d) looking for a job.
See you soon.

1 Comments:

Blogger kenniebloggins said...

Word is that Dacula is looking for at least 2 English teachers, which probably means there's room for Social Studies as well. Pretty alright school, I guess. I student taught there. I'd check there. Thanks for the props as well.

6/23/2006 6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home