Thursday, March 23, 2006

get it while it's...there.

i just enjoyed a savory lunch at cafe cuba, the place in the same block with agua linda (the old normaltown cafe space). others have already addressed the food quality more adeptly than i would, so i'll leave that be other than to comment that my lunch entre was delicious. and they provided complimentary soup/salad bar.

i'm posting to encourage 4KS's loyal readers to visit this fine establishment...while you still can. it seems like time and resources may be short over at cafe cuba. my reasons for suspecting this are two-fold:
1. the waitress, in apologizing for slow service, confided in me that she was distracted because their power bill was due by 1pm that day. that they weren't sure if they had enough money in the account to cover it, and that a power cut off seemed imminent.

2. when i approached the front counter to pay the check, the waitress had a problem: she could not make change. for a twenty. at 1pm on a weekday. the register apparently had like $2 in it. she checked her own pocketbook, but only found another $2. she called over the other waitress, who unfortunately only had $4. at this point i offered to pay with a credit card, but she assured me it was no problem. the day was saved by the cook, who emerged from the kitchen and graciously produced two crumpled fives.

6 Comments:

Blogger hillary said...

Aww. You're sweet.

I hope they stay open too, seeing as they're the only source of Peruvian food in this town right now. Their space is probably too big considering the amount of traffic they get, though.

3/23/2006 4:48 PM  
Blogger sauce said...

I haven't been back there since the first time I went. Granted, it was when they first opened. Needless to say, it was pretty bad at the time. So, I don't go there...

I did go to Marie's BBQ place over by Kelly's Jerk, today. Good stuff. I think those two are my lunch time favorites nowadays.

3/23/2006 4:55 PM  
Blogger hillary said...

I hear Marie's puts crushed pineapple on their BBQ sammiches and that it is quite good. I haven't been since they changed the name.

3/24/2006 8:04 AM  
Blogger huitzilin said...

About Café Cuba, I haven't been since last summer (2005), but I went right after I got back from being a month in Cuba, and I must say that the Cuban items on the menu are totally authentic. The only difference (and I'm not trying to make a joke here) is that you get way more food here than in Cuba. Seriously, though, the roast pork sandwich with bitter orange (mojo) sauce is even better than the ones in Cuba. I didn't know the folks at the restaurant were so bad off for cash... maybe I need to pay a return visit.

3/24/2006 5:21 PM  
Blogger kenniebloggins said...

Mcgringo, I've driven by ristorante What's Cookin' a few times over the past few days and I think it's closed for good. Perhaps your words of praise for local restaurants are the harbingers of bad news to come for their owners

3/28/2006 11:02 PM  
Blogger Huevos McGringo said...

yeah, i received a similar disturbing update from SM. that's a damn shame, What's Cookin had some potential. the real question is what local eatery to condemn next. dare we touch the salvadorian joint?

3/29/2006 10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home