Friday, June 12, 2009

Recent Listens...

Sonic Youth The Eternal
I'm listening to this right now for like the 2 1/2 time since I picked it up Tuesday, which should tell you a bit of how much it's grabbed me so far. It's not as bad as I thought at first, but I think it's probably a bit unecessary when it comes down to it. In the future I envision record companies employing a machine which reads old records, converts the music into numerical values, and then uses the data to spit out new records by old bands that no longer exist. Some of this sounds like something that would be generated on a bad day by one of those machines: completely generic and more or less uninspiring retreads. One of the more boring Sonic Youth albums from what I can tell so far, though I guess a decent EP could me made out of it. (The bonus LP Live at Battery Park that comes with the pre-orders, on the other hand, is probably the best out of the 3 officially released SY live records where they play songs rather than jams.) I also bought the SYR 7 LP as a consolation prize in anticipation of how much The Eternal was going to suck and found it to be pretty awesome. More so than The Eternal.

UPDATE: 3 1/2 listens in The Eternal is not as yawn inducing as I first thought. Even so, I can think of at least 15 or so SY records I would buy first.

Justice (Cross album)
I missed this one when it came out a year or so ago but picked it up at the public library. Sounds like something a more electronically oriented Tortoise would do if they spent more time in Paris disco clubs and less time in Chicago jazz clubs.

Deerhunter Rainwater Cassette Exchange
Girl groups, Wire, the Strokes with a bit more noise in the background. A nice little EP that ends before you could ever get sick of it.

My favorite all time EPS:

  1. Polvo-Celebrate the New Dark Age
  2. Pavement-Watery, Domestic (and Pacific Trim)
  3. Palace-Gulf Shores
  4. Breeders-Safari

Old records I recently purchased that I should have bought long ago...

  1. Can-Future Days
  2. MF Doom-Operation Doomsday
  3. Pink Floyd-Meddle and Wish You Were Here
  4. The Stooges-Fun House
  5. Richard Hell and the Voidoids-Blank Generation
  6. ODB-Return to the 36 Chambers

3 Comments:

Blogger Huevos McGringo said...

your deerhunter description is awesome. might need to scoop up that EP, i thought microcastle was stellar.

6/15/2009 3:11 PM  
Blogger kenniebloggins said...

Your ep list would be pretty similar to mine. If you consider SYR1 an ep, then that's definitely in my top-5. Also, the first Jurassic 5 ep holds a lot of weight in my book and promised of greatness that was never followed up. good post!

6/19/2009 6:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah. i forgot about those, somehow. you're right especially about that j5 record. they just put out a reissue which i think i need to buy.
mcsquared

6/20/2009 12:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home