Saturday, August 08, 2009

Doings

A. Last Friday I was lucky enough to cap the evening with a viewing of the classic Australian film Stunt Rock at the New Beverly Cinema. There's not much of a plot to Stunt Rock, beyond a loose tale of a stunt man who knows this wannabe-Zeppelin band called Sorcery and is trying to get this girl to get into him while the band is trying to make it big. For most of the movie, you get the stunt man doing stunts, and the band playing shows, always with a wizard on hand to do all sorts of blowing up shit with magic sorts of things. Sound amazing? It is. Watch the trailer, either way.



B. Last night, I watched this movie, which is all about Australian "ozploitation" movies from the 60s and on. It's one of those movies, like the just as essential Z-Channel, that you'll spend half the time writing names of movies down that you may or may not ever find, but you need to see. One of the highlights was a movie called Long Weekend, where a couple out for some time in the sticks feels the wrath of nature as they are continally attacked by wild animals.

C. Recently, I've been trying to not watch too much of the Mets, though I'm not as pissed off as I was in like 1991, or 1993, or 2003, or 2004. The Mets DL would actually be a decent starting 9 and I suspect that, playing everyday, they could at least compete for a Wild Card. That being said, the Mets were making bone-head plays left and right even before 75% of their core went on the DL. Back then, though, the mental mistakes were largely covered up by the fact that they have 4 or 5 players who are probably among the 40 best players in baseball. Now they have 2 or 3.

D. A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of seeing Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks in Echo Park (a hipster/Latino neighborhood where a Mexican radio station blead through SM's pedal during the instrumental part of the first song) as well as beautiful Solana Beach. It was my first time seeing the band with Janet Weiss who, I think, has made them so much more interesting live than they were before. Not that I wouldn't be excited about a Pavement reunion, but after seeing this incarnation of the Jicks, I could certainly wait awhile.

E. Superfreakonomics. October 20. I will probably buy a hardcover book on this date for the first time in forever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home